Pages

Monday, 10 June 2013

Eco-goals: June - none...

Source

I kind of fell by the wayside with this one. The goal for June was supposed to be No Meat. I've toyed with vegetarianism for a few years, partly due to abhorrence of modern farming methods, partly due to the fact that the amount of meat farmed across the world has huge environmental implications. Although  I only ate meat once - maybe twice -  a week, I'd never completely given it up for a long length of time, and thought that going without it for a more substantial period would allow me to see if I could forego it completely.
 
But now I've decided I don't want to.
 
Perhaps I got the vegetarian diet wrong. I like to think I'm a good cook and quite experimental, and I made a lot of dishes (some from recipes, some from my own head) usually based around beans, lentils, pasta, quorn, potatoes, bread, occasional pastry. And almost always with plenty fresh veg & salad. And as far as I knew, things were going well. It wasn't until after doing some reading on nutrition earlier this year that I decided to experiment with eating a bit more meat. Not every day, but upping it from one day a week to four, and not stressing out if I somehow found myself in a situation where I had to eat meat. To keep in line with my values, I only bought meat from the local butchers, fish from the local fishmongers, and I tried to pick game over farmed meat where I could.
 
The results have stunned me.
 
I thought I was doing fine on my low-meat, high carb diet. But since changing how I eat, I have more energy, more mental clarity, less headaches, less PMS, less digestive upsets and I've lost 4lb. Not that I had loads of these problems before, but enough to notice a difference. Maybe its coincidence, I haven't looked into the science enough yet, but I'm far happier and feel a lot healthier with the inclusion of meat in my diet. Like I said, I buy from as ethical a source as I can. I know and trust the local butcher, and I try to stick to game because I know the animal has had a happier and healthier life than a farmed creature.
 
I know this wouldn't work for everyone, just as there are thousands of perfectly healthy vegetarians out there. It just wasn't for me and I feel so much better in myself by eating this way. I did intend to switch the eco-goals around but by the time I got round to it, I was too disorganised (plus I was one goal short anyway, so it's sort of worked itself out...). Next month, normal service will resume.
 
Have you ever toyed with vegetarianism/veganism? Did it work for you?

18 comments:

  1. I was vegetarian for about 15 years. Hard to find things to eat when eating out then, but I managed. But a few years back, I got really sick, and needed more protein. I became a horrified carnivore- but i got better. At first it made me gag. I still like the idea of being vegetarian & wish I could go back, but I have found that I do need meat sometimes. I just gave up and eat whatever. Visiting on the bloghop... & a new follower- I like your eco-goals.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, that's a long time! I know what you mean, I love the idea of being a vegetarian but I now know it just isn't for me.

      Thanks for dropping by :)

      Delete
  2. My friend went through the exact same thing earlier this year - now she raves about eating meat again and about how much better she feels! I don't eat much meat either but I don't think going vegetarian would work for me, mostly because I'm a terribly lazy cook and I've never found a non meat way to feel properly full after eating! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really surprised me as I was sure that cutting meat would be healthier, but it definitely wasn't that way for me. Ha ha, I know what you mean, I never feel full without meat either, which is why I over-compensated with carbs.

      Delete
  3. I love meat! but like anything it can be overdone, so i only eat it once a day. Great post, btw.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally agree, I think it's an important part of my diet but I try not to make it the focus of all meals.

      Thank you :)

      Delete
  4. I'm here from the blog hop! But I do just want to say, lovely site, and I've never gone full vegetarian, but most of our house eats veggies and fruit. We do have meat because we do a lot of weight lifting and want the protein, but our main focus is veggies. Our health has never been better!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I can imagine you'd need a decent amount of protein for weight lifting. I do think a lot of vegetables is great for health and I try to base my meals around veg and have meat on the side, rather than the other way round. Thanks for dropping by, BTW!

      Delete
  5. Strange diets, honestly? It's enough just to deal with my strange kids. ;) I here from the hop, and it's great to meet you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha, I'm glad I only have my strange diet to contend with. I'm sure your kids are lovely really ;)

      Great to meet you too!

      Delete
  6. We're all different - perhaps that applies to our dietary needs too?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very true - there are so many vegetarians out there who thrive perfectly fine without meat, so there's a lot to be said for trial and error when it comes to diet.

      Delete
  7. This was very interesting. I love meat as much as I love my veggies:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too, now that I'm back in the habit of eating it :)

      Delete
  8. So nice to meet you! I'm from Mel's blog hop and I'm SO glad I found your blog. I actually dabbled with vegetarianism a couple months ago for a journalism project (I also blogged about the meals I cooked) -- the goal was to feel (and be) healthier as well as talk with health experts about different plant-based diets. I've never been much of a meat lover, so it wasn't too hard. I'm no longer a vegetarian because I find that balance is key, rather than taking out whole food groups. Kudos to you for trying out different diets and finding what works best for you!

    Anyway, I'm absolutely loving all of your posts; call me a new follower. :) Looking forward to reading more about your adventures!

    ~Wendy Lu

    The Red Angel

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for dropping by :)

      Wow that sounds like an interesting project, will check your blog out and find out more! You're right, I do think balance is key in most cases - certainly for me, I don't feel that cutting any food group works for me.

      Delete
  9. Great post! I reckon I could easily give up meat I don't eat a lot anyway. What I'm really struggling with is a 'dairy free' diet for my 4yr old!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh God, a dairy free diet for myself would be hard enough. Can't imagine what its like trying to do that for a 4yr old - good luck with it x

      Delete